Yup, you read that correctly. All the flavors you love wrapped up in a deliciously fried (egg-less) egg roll wrapper. I was inspired by a Pin on Pinterest and decided to make it my own. I’m not even going to bore you with a long intro anymore – here’s what you’ll need.
Ingredients (8-10 rolls)
- egg-less egg roll wrapers (I used the Friedas brand)
- 1 can organic black beans
- 1 cup organic jasmine rice
- 1/2 bag of frozen steam ready organic sweet corn
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds (I used Follow Your Heart cheddar)
- 1/2 organic white onion
- 2 organic green onions
- 1 small organic avocado
- 2 Gardien chipotle black bean burgers
- 2 tbsp’s organic tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (I use Earth Balance brand)
- 1/2 organic lemon or lime
- Spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano)
- Avocado Oil (you can use any other kind)
- Add 2 cups of water to a small pot and bring to a boil. Add in your rice, butter, 1 tbsp of tomato sauce, salt and cook for a few minutes on medium high. The tomato sauce usually already has spices so you don’t need to do much but feel free to add in whatever you like. Lower heat and leave to simmer with a lid. Set aside.
- Heat up a medium size skillet with avocado oil. Cut your white onion (I left ours as rings but you can chop them smaller) and sauté with salt and pepper.
- Add your Gardien chipotle burgers to the skillet with the onions. Once cooked use a fork to break it up into crumbled bits.
- Add in a splash of filtered water to your skillet and toss in your corn. Cover so the steam cooks it (only takes about 2 minutes).
- In another small sauce pan empty your can of beans with only 1/3 of the liquid. Add in 1/2 cup of filtered water with the remaining tbsp of tomato sauce. Add in spices (salt, pepper, garlic, onion and oregano).
- Once everything is cooked combine it all in a large bowl gently so that it doesn’t all become mashed together. Add in your vegan cheese shreds and 1 chopped green onion.
- Lay your egg roll wrappers on a large cutting board in a diamond shape. Use a spoon to put in a good amount of filling in a horizontal line being careful not to go all the way to the edges. Fold in the two sides over the filling and roll. Dip your finger in water and run along the wrapper edge to seal the egg roll closed.
- Fill the same skillet you used for the burgers with more avocado oil and bring to a medium high heat.
- Place egg rolls in to fry until golden brown and flip.
In a small bowl, mash your avocado and add in salt, pepper and onion powder. Mix in more green onion and squeeze lemon.
It may seem like a lot of steps but truthfully it was super quick and easy to make! You could even use left over rice and beans to make this and play around with different fillings if you don’t want to use the Gardien burgers!
Let me know if you give these a try and hope you love it as much as we did!
Til next time,
One Comment Add yours
“Hungerlicious” – A recipe that is delicious as well as makes a person hungry. Just came up with that term, haha! … I used to cook these vegan rolls for snack often but a with a little bit of change in the ingredients though. You should try eating this and then eat a apple cinnamon powdered french toast for dessert. A crispy fried roll and a sweet baked french toast, makes up a perfect hungerlicious snack, haha!